Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2013 4:26:48 PM EDT
Ok so, i went to the gun show last weekend  and saw some nifty looking "mag repair kits" from national mags. I guess i should have done some research on the company first,... I just assumed they were decent when i picked one up and looked at the construction. Needless to say, it looks like they have a terrible reputation and oddly enough, they dont work well!! So, i was wondering if anybody has any prior experience with the company/ returns/exchanges or maybe some of you fellow mechanical gurus could point me in the right direction? The entire mag wiggles back and fourth almost 1/4" so,.... If i push it forward, they seem to cycle "ok"... From what i can see is the QC on these things are horrible and they are completely out of spec compared to my colt and usgi mags. It looks like my bcg is ramming into the back side of the feedlip and causing the bolt to hang up unless i jimm the mag around inside the well. Any of you dudes have any experience tweaking or bending the feedlips into spec? These things seem to be counstructed out of cheap soft steel, and might fatigue if over stressed. Any suggestions besides pliers? I dont want to gouge up the feedlips,... Plus you'd slap me if i told you what i paid for these 40 rounder "mag rebuild kits"  id just like to make them work, iv been contemplating what to do from here... Haha. Well, word to the wise, stay away from national mags. They suck and barely worth their weight in shit. Good paper weight i guess
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAT?????? Paragraphs....and punctuation....

Yes you can bend the feed lips. Use a needle nose and just bend the first 1/4 inch..test and repeat..

and learn how to fucking type so people can read your posts
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I will give the needle nosed pliers a go at the back end (rear) of the mag. I suppose a little feed lip tweak wont destroy them then, . Ill try that and let you guys know how it goes. I just have a feeling that im going to have to add some material to the back side of the mag to take up some of the slop.
Ohh yeah; And thanks for the tips on creative writing and proper manipulation of the english language. I didnt think it was too terrible for my giant thumbs on this tiny iphone screen but i will definately consider; "learning how to fuckin type so people can read my posts"  in the future. Thanks for the pointers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt I would slap you, but I might hurt myself laughing.
Better see if you can get your money back.

Let me guess … you paid cash?
Maybe the manufacturer will make it right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Hah, well i got bored this weekend and tackled the ill fitting mag problem. I knew something was up, i took out my calipers again and compared some measurements with my good USGI and good COLT mags. Sure as shit, the national mags were both heavily out of spec. So i did what any good do-it-your-selfer woud do, and busted out my dremel, some files and built myself a "mag adjusting tool". I took a 6" long 5/16" bolt and cut a 45degree notch into it. I saw a tool on brownells and made my own revision of it. The problem turned out to be the feed lips were flared outboard too far, and, the inside of the feed lips was too narrow. I took out my BCG and would test fit it every time id grind away some material. Long story short, of you decide to buy national mags brand crap, be prepared to have to do some custom work to make them fit. Realistically, the QC on these things suck. Stay away from national. Better off spending gour money on decent quality gear and not have to worry about it failing or dremeling shit and removing material to get them going. I feel like a dumbass at $30 a mag. But $60 and an hour of dremeling, hack sawing and filing these pieces of shit, they cycle. Im happy with my cheapo 40rd mags now. Lol. Maybe you'll see them on the EE soon. Haha.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top